Our experienced and knowledgeable staff at the Langley Excavator Parts Exchange have mechanical backgrounds and have spent years working with John Deere and Hitachi excavators. Therefore we’d like to share with you some tips about buying used excavators.
Tips For Buying Used Excavators
- Make sure you check the excavator for cracks and bends at connection points to determine if the overall structure of the excavator is in good condition and you won’t need to be replacing your boom or stick.
- Check for leaks in the hydraulic pump, hoses, lines, cylinders, slew ring, and swing area which will have to be repaired.
- Operate all functions and listen for unusual noises, squeaks, or squeals that may indicate a costly repair is potentially required.
- You should rotate the hydraulic excavator housing to check for any play or movement in the slew ring bearing. This component has a play limit and since it can be expensive to repair or replace, it’s a good idea to ensure it is working properly.
- Check the wear of the control pedals and general condition inside the operator’s area to get additional information about the extent to which the excavator has been used.
- Check the condition of the attachment to determine if it will need repair or replacing and its suitability for your purpose.
- Check the maintenance records to get an indication of how well the excavator has been taken care of and always have a qualified excavator mechanic inspect it.
We hope our advice will help you make the right decision when buying a used hydraulic excavator. If your Hitachi or John Deere excavator needs replacement parts or components our expert technician will find what you need quickly and help minimize downtime. Call us 1-888-530-5444 or 604-530-5758 or contact us online here. With one of the largest inventories of John Deere and Hitachi components, our experienced and knowledgeable staff is equipped to help you with the part you may need.